Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring Break Day 1: Lawrence of Arabia

I wanted to sleep in today, I really did, but my grandmother and great aunt went to get their hair done this morning and so I went along to keep them company--not to get my own hair done, certainly not! I never cut my hair.

Anyway, this meant that my grandmother woke me up five minutes before she left at 9:30, so I did sleep in somewhat, but not as much as I wanted. I then got ready in record time and managed to grab two library books to read in the hairdresser's waiting room.

I therefore finished Diane Duane's "High Wizardry" this morning, and started "Foundation", by Isaac Asimov. So far, "Foundation" isn't really gripping me, but I'm not very far in, so I expect it will heat up soon.

Most of my day, however, was spent watching "Lawrence of Arabia" for the first time, after wanting to watch it for years. I adore it! It's definitely one of the most fascinating, beautiful, and thought-provoking films I have ever watched, and kept me absolutely transfixed from the first note of music until the screen went black at the end. The tension just kept building for me for the entire film, and ultimately left me feeling both extremely depressed and exhilarated at the same time. Amazing. I already was a fan of Peter O'Toole, but now I like him even more. The cinematography was stunning. I wrote at least three essays in my head about the symbolism in the cinematography, which either shows you how amazing it was or how my brain is still in English midterm exam mode. Or both. Some of the best cinematography I've seen, along with that of "Sunshine". Every frame was like a painting, the kind of painting that speaks to you and makes you think.

Anyway, it's definitely a film to add to my 'favorite films' collection. And thank heaven for TCM! I get to watch all sorts of classic films on that channel, and as a girl who loves classic cinema, it's an absolute boon.

I'm going to cook myself some dinner now--a quesadilla and sliced apples--and then continue on my quest in "Twilight Princess" on the Wii, and then read a few more chapters of "Foundation", write some more of my novel, and then fall asleep happy.

Spring break is off to a fantastic start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?