Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Iliad + Mosaic = Love



Seen at a museum before I left home: A fragmented and ancient mosaic, I can't remember if Greek or Roman, depicting the moment of The Iliad when Agamemnon sends soldiers to steal away Briseis. As an Iliad fan, I loved this so much, but due to bad lighting and a 'no flash' camera policy, I was unable to take particularly good quality photos. I took lots of photos at the museum, and now that I have my camera cable, I will be uploading periodically. Lots of neat Trojan War related articles. But this was beautiful.

From the right: Briseis, Phoenix, Achilles, and Patroclus. Patroclus! How cool is that?
And I love Achilles' hair . . . Those of you who read my 'Hector' story will remember the emphasis I placed on Achilles' hair . . . and here it is reddish and long and wild like I described it. Makes me happy :)

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, lovely picture! I think the Iliad is my favorite Greek story from my childhood. My dad and mum read it to me when I was about seven. And Achilles' hair is amazing (Better than mine!) here, and I must admit, I did think quickly about your story Hector. It's been far too long since I read that...

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?