Monday, January 26, 2009

Weekend Update

For the lack of a more ingenious title.

Ahem, yes. On Saturday I  . . . stayed in the apartment and did homework. This was my first full homework load of the year, and it wasn't pleasant, but I have got it done. Well, almost. Only 13 more weeks. That's definitely do-able, no?

I also cleaned my room, and finally emptied one of my suitcases which had still be lounging in the corner of my room trying (and failing) to look inconspicuous. The big hard-case is still there though, I'll tackle that this weekend. 

I meant to get a lot of art done, but one way or another I procrastinated and computered and homeworked my way out of it. Bother. I did spend about three hours making a birthday card for my mother, though, which is currently winging its way across the ocean to reach her in time (hopefully!). I forgot to get a picture of it, but it was waaaaay too intricate for my own good.

I also did a lot of speed-reading. Some homework related, others not. Firstly, I'm reading 'The Broken Spears' for history class, and strongly recommend it to anyone who likes reading history which may in turn inspire creative writing. It's the account of the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs--from the Aztecs' viewpoint. Basically it is a collection of eyewitness Aztec accounts, talking about the whole thing. Absurdly short--I want to find the full version of these accounts now, as in this book there are just 'excerpts'--still, a very enjoyable and interesting read. I've always liked Montezuma. It wasn't his fault that he grew up in a human-sacrificing kingdom and was attacked by Cortez, poor chap. He did his best.

As far as pleasure reading goes I am reading 'Gone with the Wind'. I am 400 pages into the novel, and I still have this fierce desire to smack Scarlett. She's unbearable. Rhett is just so/so, though I do like his sense of humor, it somehow agrees with mine. Anyway, I'm plowing ahead, and hoping character development starts happening sometime soon . . . so far, War and Peace is a definite win.

It's been colder than usual for Hawaii. As a result, I haven't seen many geckos lately, though the myna birds are strutting about as usual. They are so impudent and merry, you cannot help but like them. They obviously have high opinions of themselves, and look so classy.

Sunday after church I . . . um, did more homework. And yes, I did take a time-out to watch Iron Chef. I'm a closet Iron Chef fan. Whoo-hoo!

Still haven't seen Inkheart. But I will! And I have tentatively begun to sketch out ideas for my fairy tale, but we'll see how the finished product actually is.

1 comment:

  1. With the exception of me getting to see Inkheart.... I'd switch my weekend with you gladly. Honestly.
    Good luck to you on GwtW. :D

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?