Sunday, January 25, 2009

Book Feast Pt. 1: Watercress Soup

And here 'tis at last, the long-anticipated Watercress Soup recipe!

First you need a little background information. Last year, when I was away at college, I planned to have a huge feast with my family when I returned home for Christmas break. Moreover, I determined that I would have the feast on January 3, which is JRR Tolkien's birthday.

Out of respect for the master of words, I further decided that my feast would be based on literature itself. That is, I would take recipes based on foods mentioned in books that all my family could recognize, and then serve them in one enormous meal fit for a bookworm!

Ultimately, this is what I did. I cooked all the courses on my own--which was exhausting but one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life, absolute madness--and searched books for mentions of food.

First course, naturally, was a delectable soup. I absolutely adore soup. And the soup to end all soups is, of course, the beautiful 'chicken and garlic and watercress soup' which plays such an important part in the beautiful story "The Tale of Despereaux".

This is the soup that Chiaroscuro pined for in the darkness of the dungeon, the soup that was so good it healed his broken heart (sort of). The soup that the Queen loved so much, the King outlawed it when she died. The soup that gave Despereaux courage and that Cook broke the law to brew. And it was the soup that everyone enjoyed when the story at last found its happy ending.

Now, it is also a soup that you can enjoy. Quite simple, and every bit as delicious as the soup you've dreamed about ever since reading Kate DiCamillo's novel. It has the chicken stock, it has the garlic, it has the watercress. This recipe is based upon one which I found on the internet, but I modified it a lot, and am very pleased with the result.

Watercress Soup

‘“Yes,” said Cook. “That is soup that you are smelling. The princess, not that you would know or care, is missing, bless her goodhearted self. And times are terrible. And when times are terrible, soup is the answer. Don’t it smell like the answer?”'
-The Tale of Despereaux
Ingredients:

4 tablespoons butter
4 cups sliced onions
4 cups sliced potatoes
8 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 bunches of watercress, thoroughly washed and coarsely chopped
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced (NOTE: I think this is how much I used. I improvised at the time of cooking once I realized the recipe had no garlic in it! Anyway, just put in how much you think would be good.)


Procedure:

In a large saucepan with a lid, melt the butter over low heat. Stir in onions, cover, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft but not brown. Stir in potatoes, stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover pan, and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. Add watercress for last 5 minutes of simmering. Serve while hot!


. . . And that's it! Easy! The original recipe called for you to add milk, cream everything in a blender, and then chill. Pah! Keep it with all the ingredients whole, don't add milk, and serve hot. Seriously.

To further whet your appetites, here's a (fuzzy) photo of the
 finished soup. And please realize the above recipe serves A LOT of people. It fed my family of . . . nine. Nine who were old enough to eat the soup, anyway. So just adjust the recipe to fit your needs.

Happy chefing!

Next Recipe: Pasta Puttanesca



7 comments:

  1. looks good. I love soup. I dont know if it just me, but I find soup to be quite a confort food. Even if I dont feel bad, there is nothing like a good bowl of soup to brighten a day.

    My mom makes this great chicken soup that I miss a lot, it has okra and all these other things that blend together sooo well. ahhh that is some good stuff. With a side of french bread that soup is incredible.

    I should learn the art of soups, I love the stuff and it is the only food type mentioned in any of my school-assigned poems. One of which is pretty funny :)

    -Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should make a cookbook of famous storytale recipies. It would be /awesome/. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you much Jhaniel! I'm so sad... I went to the store, and they were out of watercress! *cries* They had it two days ago!
    But next time I see some, I'm buying and making this.
    I'll work on the cookbook with you... I want soup now! *hungry* I made potatoe and garlic soup last night instead of this...

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cookbook sounds awesome! But do you realize just how hard it is to find entree's in literature? Interesting entrees? I never realized it until I started work on this meal . . . but more on that with the next recipe!

    Nikolai--Chicken and okra? Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very right. At least we could always go to Redwall for that. He talks about food all the time.
    Nikolai, stop talking about okra and chicken. You're making me hungry. That's not fair. *cries*

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what I thought. But they only serve fish. Or pigeon. And the pigeon is generally raw.

    Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with fish, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pigeon is one heck of a meat, I remember one time my cousin shot one dead with his new pellet gun and my grandpa made him eat it. It is a nasty deal cleaning a pigeon, you have to rip its chest away from its body and it is a real mess.

    When my cousin ate it he said that it tasted like liver (which he does not like). I did not try any because the way he reacted to it made me afraid to try it out.

    Give me fish over pigeon any day.

    Oh and laura im sorry I wont talk about it(notice I did not use the words) anymore :)

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?