Friday, October 10, 2008

The Significence of the Number 33, and the Happy Cockroach

I recently realized that my last post was my 33rd. My blog is now of age. We need to have a happy hobbit party to celebrate ^_^

Oh, and Kasiopea has new art posted on her website--more of her fabulous paintings telling Maeglin's story as recounted in The Silmarillion/Book of Lost Tales/Children of Hurin. Do go check them out. Now.

In my philosophy class today I did some practice problems in preparation for the upcoming mid-term test; I didn't get everything right, but these were (according to the professor) harder than those which will be on the mid-term, and I got most right, so I am very pleased and have renewed confidence now. I had been feeling a bit wilty concerning philosophy for the past week or so.

It rained today, but I missed it . . . Oh, but I did see two baby geckos this week. Tiny, adorable little things, about half the length of my little finger. Which I know is an imprecise measurement for you . . . Um, let's estimate about an inch long? And they had big round black eyes, and when I got excited at seeing them they got scared and scurried away up the wall. So cute.

And I also saw a baby mongoose . . . it was eating something, I'm not sure I want to know what, but it kept looking up from its dinner and licking its lips with a little pink tongue, so it was adorable too.

Cockroaches aren't so adorable. No, wait, I take that back; one cockroach I've espied was very cute. A young father was carrying his baby girl through a restaurant I was eating at, and she was wiggling and laughing and generally gleeful, and I was watching a little wistfully. Because she was about the same age as my youngest sister at home, and my dad carries her around like that.

But my dad does definitely not pretend his children are loathsome bugs. Whereas this father:

*lifting the laughing baby above his head* "Yay, it's the happy cockroach! Yay, happy cockroach!"

I could barely finish my pasta, I was laughing so hard. I guess when 'happy cockroach' is a term of endearment, you know you're in Hawaii.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I got it. Good for you. Oh, and I'm not quite sure why, but the idea of calling a kid a cockroach probably is akin to calling a kid a stinker or a yorkie. (Don't ask...) Pet names have no need for rhyme nor reason. I'm living proof of that. And we're not telling what my pet name is. (hides face in shame.)

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?