Monday, October 6, 2008

A Haiku and My Weekend


"I'm a poor author
And I want to get published
Can you help me out?"

A special haiku for Laura to write on her sweater and sport around town. Because as we both know, the best authors always get published in unlikely and unconventional ways ;)

In other news, I got my library card at last, so the library's in big trouble now, heh heh. I borrowed Gone With the Wind, The Book of Mordred, and The Brothers Karamazov, none of which I've read before, though I started Karamazov at home and now I have a chance to finish it at last.

I also stayed up until 10 o'clock last night, not something I had planned, but when some TV station is showing a four-hour film version of Moby Dick, one of my favorite books ever, how could I resist? It was very well done. I own the Gregory Peck verson, and Gregory Peck is awesome as Ahab, but this version since it was longer had some elements from the book in it that the Peck version doesn't: the madness of Pip and the mysterious 'Parsee', for instance. Queequeg was Samoan or something like that, which surprised me, but it was okay, and Tashtego looked much more like Tashtego but didn't get much screen time, which was sad. Also the whale looked, surprisingly, more fake than in the original Gregory Peck version! My favorite characters from the book are Tashtego, Queequeg, and Starbuck. Starbuck was very good in this adaptation.

Anyways, that was my weekend. I also did a lot of cleaning, mostly in the kitchen, and had my first taste of mahi-mahi. For those of you who are wondering, it's very good.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you much for the haiku! I'll see about getting a shirt made up with that.
    Honestly, I have at last found a book where I don't agree with you. I just couldn't get through Moby Dick. For some reason, I fell asleep every time I went to read it. How did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending of the book is worth it. Trust me.

    And yeah, I got a bit dizzy from the chapters full of nothing but descriptions of the masts of the ship or a whale's brain. But it all came together for me in the end, somehow . . . when the ship goes down, it's so much more powerful, because you understand it, you know? Because he force-fed you a full tour of it, lol.

    And I really liked the Ahab/Starbuck dynamics throughout.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?