Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Attack of the Black Cat

Do you ever have those days where nothing seems to go right? I think what did it for me was accidentally having a black cat cross my path last week. The ill fortune bound to ensue finally did yesterday.

First, I discovered yesterday morning that my camera is broken. By which I mean I think some rain or other moisture got inside it, and now its screen doesn't work, even though its picture-taking function is still okay. This is a horrible problem still, however, because my camera's viewfinder is the screen. So now I cannot see what my pictures look like or if I'm in focus or anything! It's driving me mad. So right now my camera's in my bedroom, with a small electric fan blowing at it, and I hope desperately that it clears up once it's dry. Otherwise I have to get a replacement, which is a nuisance.

And then I got stuck on a philosophy homework problem, and so went overlong on my homework session and had to run to make it to my history class on time, which meant I had to skip lunch. And then halfway to history class, I discovered that the path I always take was surrounded by blaringly orange fencing because it was being re-cemented. So I had to take a long detour, hauling my rolling backpack up stairs and such.

After history I had no time to eat because I needed to rush to another class. I tried to call my mother about my camera and then my cell phone went dead in the middle of our conversation. After writing some nasty things about electronics and technology in general in my diary, I went to class, and then from there I had to hurry to attend a library tour--only I suddenly discovered I didn't remember which library I was supposed to go to. I managed to guess the correct one, though. And during the library tour I had to use the computer to search for articles/books to use for a research paper that I have to write for English class. Would you believe that a library with 6 million books only has about three about Welsh castles?

But then my luck finally began to turn. When I got back to my grandma, I discovered she had bought me fruit juice, which made everything better. Oh, and I read more of Brothers Karamazov on the way back to the apartment. And I devoured my sadly overdue lunch. I was pretty hungry, considering my breakfast was at 6:30 and my lunch about eleven hours later . . .

I think the horrid black cat has exhausted its store of bad luck on me now, so today should be good. And maybe it wasn't the black cat; I never did really believe in superstition like that . . . but you never know. And anyway, it feels nice to be able to blame something.

3 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, I'd take your day yesterday over the one I had. It was the day from somewhere below. Maybe it was "everything wrong for writers' day" or something.
    Would hugs, cookies and hot cocoa help any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, both you and Laura. Strange, though, I saw a black cat a few days ago and nothing happened to me. Perhaps it's the name.

    I got ur pix, I just haven't had time to reply. Midterms are this week and I just finished a test for one of my online courses. So... maybe my day will be awful tomorrow.
    Take care of yourself, matey. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, poor Laura.
    Yes, a hot cocoa party does seem in order. Or, well, it's kinda hot here. So maybe a hot cocoa and/or frozen yogurt party.

    Katrina! Ahh, I need to give you a call sometime. Mebbe on Sunday. Good luck with midterms, and I am going to reply to your letter, honest! :)

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?