Monday, October 13, 2008

Fire and Hemlock

Yes, I stayed up until midnight last night reading 'Fire and Hemlock' by Diana Wynne Jones. It was a very engrossing read, and the part towards the end where Polly was trying to find her true memories was actually chilling. So I really enjoyed it, especially the make-believe parts and the book choices of Tom Lynn. The story was very cleverly done, and I could definitely see why Andromache likes it so much.

To my own surprise, though, I actually prefer Andromache's own retelling of the Tam Lin story. It isn't anywhere near as long and convoluted as Jones', but for some reason it is more gripping, I think . . . hm. Well, I hope that is heartening, anyway.

Oh, and I had issues with 'Fire and Hemlock's ending. I didn't really understand it all that well . . . perhaps because it was so late at night! But the horse bit really didn't make sense to me. Sorry.

And this may be the beginning of infrequent posting for the next two weeks. Mid-term exams *cue scary music* are being held, and I really should study. Studying does take priority over blogging, y'know.

3 comments:

  1. That is the most undeservedly rewarding compliment I have ever received. I seriously think I might print out this post and frame it...to think I had one of my pieces compared /favourably/ to one of Diana Wynne Jones' books...you don't need to give me a Christmas or birthday present for say, oh, the next ten years. ^_^

    *spontaneously combusts from happiness*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and I'm dead serious too . . . I could never be that complimentary if I didn't mean it :D

    Your story was more poetic, or something, I dunno. It fit the source material better, I think.

    Not that Jones isn't good, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still ought to read Fire and Hemlock sometime. But I agree, I loved Andi's story - and not just because it was written about/for me! I'm going to be sad about limited Jhaniel... but I understand about being busy with mid-terms. I'm getting ready to (hopefully) bust butt on music practice.

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?