Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Shadow of the Bear (And Fraggles!)

"Have you ever felt there was something going on in life not everyone was aware of? . . . As though there's a story going on that everyone is a part of, but not everybody knows about? Maybe 'story' isn't the right word--a sort of drama, a battle between what's peripheral and what's really important. As though the people you meet aren't just their plain, prosaic selves, but are actually princes and princesses, gods and goddesses, fairies, shepherds, all sorts of fantastic creatures who've chosen to hide their real shape for some reason or other. Have you ever thought that?"

Want to know where that marvelous quote comes from? Read on:

I've been revisiting a lot of 'old loves' today: Finding old books, films, and interests that used to entrance me but were somehow left behind in the stream of time. It does in many ways feel like plumbing a river; although somewhat distorted by my maturing memory flowing over them, once clear of the water they shine (to my surprise) nearly as bright as I once knew them to be, and perhaps, in a few cases, even brighter. So it is that I have been reminded that Fraggle Rock wasn't just a strange hippie puppet show, it was quite wonderful, and in many instances, spoke almost eerily to my own personal philosophies. Don't believe me? Watch THIS . . . And then just try tell me that doesn't sound like something I would say/think! It has a sort of melancholic, gentle wisdom that I love, and I expect that is thanks very much to Jim Henson, one of my favorite people ever. I read somewhere that he said that he would have loved to have the job of the man who wanders sidewalks picking up trash with his stabbing stick thing, because it would make the world more beautiful, people more happy, and as a plus, he would be able to wander the streets stabbing trash with a stick! I had forgotten, sometime during the past few years, how much I loved this man and his work (outside of "The Muppet Christmas Carol" and "The Muppet Movie", that is), so it has been a real pleasure reacquainting myself with his stuff. "The Dark Crystal" is also better than I had remembered it, and I found a few quotable gems in it, too. My favorite, I think, is this exchange between the two protagonists:

Jen [looking at runic inscriptions on a wall]: “This is all writing.”

Kira: “What's writing?”

Jen: “Words that stay.”


So simple, but somehow profound. For that is the essence and power and beauty of writing, isn't it? That the words stay. That the scene is placed in the ruins of a dead civilization just made the lines all the more powerful. I will definitely adding this to my collection of quotes pinned above my writing desk!


So now I can return to the lines I quoted at the beginning of this post. They are from a novel by a Catholic homeschooling mother, Regina Doman, entitled The Shadow of the Bear.


I read this book when I was . . . oh, thirteen? Fourteen? . . . And had not read it since, due to the fact that as a Catholic book it is just about non-existent at libraries and when I read the thing I was only borrowing it from a friend; I don't own it myself. It made quite an impression on me at the time, but since I didn't own it, I sort of forgot about it. And then, today, I stumbled across it again and re-read it . . .


And was hooked again!


I'll try to explain why. As a Catholic myself, I find it interesting to read a novel written about contemporary Catholic teens, but as a lover of fairy tales and poetry, I also find it interesting to read a good novel based upon a fairy tale or with fairy tale elements in it. This story is both. It is a modern retelling of the story of 'Snow White and Rose Red', and rather cleverly done, too. This is a story that quotes Chesterton and poetry with reverence, is written in a lyrical, entertaining way, and intelligently weaves God, religion, morals, engaging characters, and subtle-enough-to-work parallels to a famous fairy tale into an entertaining story. Catholicism is a part of the story, but not in such a way as to make this book accessible or enjoyable only to Catholics. Oh, and I used to /love/ the character of Fish, and now I remember why (hehe). And the 'Snow White' and 'Rose Red' characters, Blanche and Rose, I now realize in many ways parallel my curren interests and likes: quoting poetry, modest clothing, flights of imagination and fancy, Chesterton, etc. 


The story isn't for everyone. It deals with a lot of dark issues: drugs, murder, bullying and peer pressure, and there is a scene where one of the female protagonists has to be disillusioned of and escape from a drunken boyfriend. I think these issues are, on the whole, tastefully dealt with and in a healthy manner, but one can always question whether they were necessary to the story. Some parts (a kidnapping and torture, especially) can seem a bit too outlandish for the realism of the rest of the story, but as a creative way of translating a fairy tale into a modern story, I can forgive them. And even enjoy them a little, heh. So I recommend it, even though it's somewhat hard to find.


Oh, and get this: A student fan film is currently being made!



I've recently become a fan of fan films (hah, that sounds strange) after being being treated to "The Hunt for Gollum" (A Lord of the Rings fan film) and "Fire and Ice" (Doctor Who-based). So now I have not only "Born of Hope" to look forward to, but this as well! Life is good.


It's good to revisit one's past from time to time. Little treasures like these invariably turn up and make the present a whole lot better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?