Saturday, May 16, 2009

Farewell, sweet earth and . . . Pacific sky?


Freshman year is over, everyone! I'm going home!

This time tomorrow I will be . . . let me think . . . well, it'll be a different time, a different place, a different everything. I do get a little melancholy thinking about it, oddly enough, but at the same time I am so delighted to be going home to my family. I'll be able to spend the next three months doing nothing but reading, writing, art, dancing, cooking, sewing, going on walks with little children, being crazy with my crazy siblings, watching Star Trek again with my dad and maybe my mom and maybe my brother (heh heh), chatting late at night with my parents while doing the dishes and things . . . ah, bliss. 

I will think of Hawaii fondly, though. The place really is beautiful; it's a whole different world. There's this huge sense of community in Hawaii that the mainland really doesn't have; a feeling of cultural unity that is a little intimidating even as it's admirable. I have learned a lot here: about the classroom environment, about getting things done on time, about bus travel, about cockroach mafia, about how Waikiki isn't an island (oops), about myself. I will definitely miss the libraries here, and Zippy's, and the small scale of everything which makes it so easy to move around independently without a car. I wouldn't say that I'll be looking forward to coming back--home and family are too dear to me for that--but I will say that once I'm back, I won't be sad to be back.

As it is, my summer plans are filling my mind with glee at the moment. The only set work I really need to do is exercise; I'm going to be on a heavy exercise schedule for the National Irish Dance Championships in July. Ah, I get to dance again! I am looking forward to it A LOT right now, but I probably won't be feeling so enthused when I actually am in the classroom . . . I predict a lot of pain for the first couple classes, and then I'll get back into the swing of things and it will be okay.

Today I finished the last of my exams, a ridiculously long but boring English exam. I mean, two essays? Two? To be written--along with other things--in two hours? Yuck! My fingers were cramped by the time I finished, and I very nearly nodded off during my second essay. I guess I need to handwrite more. But assigned essay topics, on books I'm not particularly fond of *coughJaneEyrecough* always put me to sleep anyway. I think I did a good job; I guess I'll just have to wait and find out if the professor agrees with me. I don't know that he will; his grading is really messed up. But he's the professor who wasted about eight classes just showing us random Youtube videos, so I'm not really valuing his opinion very highly anyway. And I hope he doesn't read this blog . . . or if he does, that he doesn't realize I'm talking about him until after the exams are graded. *Looks around nervously*

Tomorrow I leave for the airport extremely early. Six o'clock, I believe, but the plane actually leaves at 8-something. I should be actually able to watch the 'wrinkled seas' doing their 'crawl'ing, but I'm not sure yet if the thought pleases or terrifies me. (If you know what I'm quoting, you get a cookie.) Oh, and get this, Linden: Next Saturday they'll be showing Inkheart on the plane! Why couldn't they have shown it this weekend, huh? Instead, they're showing some lame-sounding movie. But I guess it's just as well, because then it'll be easier to ignore. Y'see, I hope to get a lot of writing done on the plane--a lot of writing. Most specifically, The Three Sons of Cwendor writing, but hopefully some novel too. That's going to be my focus. If it doesn't get done, well, that'll be because I fell asleep, because I'm amazingly exhausted at the moment. 

And still not quite packed. Oops.

I guess I'll write more later. Next time you hear from me, I'll be back home, probably sprawled on the floor of my room or sitting at my beautiful desk, next to my enormous bookshelf, with the dragon kite swinging above me and a baby on my lap. I'm even looking forward to seeing Lathspell again! If that ain't homesickness, I don't know what is ;)

Farewell for now, and good night! 

(PS- I hope all you fellow Tolkien fans forgive the butchering of Beren's song. It's bad. I know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?