Thursday, August 28, 2008

Literary Quote #1--The Last Unicorn

"--it's hard to give up being a hero, once you get used to it. Do you like the first poem?"

"It certainly has a lot of feeling," she said. "Can you really rhyme 'bloomed' and 'ruined'?"




"It needs a bit of smoothing out," Prince Lir admitted. "'Miracle''s the word I'm worried about."

"I was wondering about 'grackle' myself."




"No, the spelling. Is it one r and two ls, or the other way around?"

"One r anyway, I think," Molly said. "Schmendrick"--for the magician had just stooped through the doorway--"how many rs in 'miracle'?"



"Two," he answered wearily. "It has the same root as 'mirror'."




(Note: All images are from the cartoon adaptation of the book, which I also really like. . . book's better, I suppose, as is the nature of things . . . but the cartoon's great . . . I've liked it since I was four . . . I found these great pics on Photobucket.)

2 comments:

  1. Wow... the bits about the poem had me cracking up. This is great. Maybe, in my spare time, I should really read that book.

    I saw the movie a long time ago, but don't remember much other than that I liked it. (Talk about having memory issues or something...)

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go look it up on Youtube! I bet they have it.

    And I just bought the 25th anniversary dvd. I'm a lucky girl. I might watch it tonight, if I get home early enough.

    Spare time? What spare time? (Oh cummon, I know that's what you're thinking . . . I know that was a sarcastic 'spare time'. Right? ;) )

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?