Saturday, November 28, 2009

My Tardis . . .

Is officially one-fourth complete!

Or, well, one-fifth, counting the roof.

Actually, make that one-sixth, counting the floor.

But . . . Check it out, one panel down!


I really took this picture when it wasn't quite done--you can see the windows on the right look different from those on the left. But it's all finished now. 

I'm almost ridiculously proud of it, mostly because I'm a truly mediocre knitter at best. This is seriously the most complicated pattern I've ever attempted, which I'm sure all you seasoned knitters will smirk at, but I'm self-taught, still learning as I go, so this is quite an accomplishment for me. I'm hoping that by the time I reach the fourth panel, it'll look much better than this one! :)

Also--Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all had a fantastic day. I spent mine mostly eating, writing, and sleeping, which means it was a stellar day. Four days off of school in a row feels like a little slice of heaven; it seems incredible that I had a whole summer without school earlier this year. Whatever did I do with it?

What books are you reading now? I haven't really had much time for reading new books this month, what with NANOWRIMO and all that (yes, I'm still frantically writing, and yes, I hope to finish on time nonetheless), but I've been reading through my copy of the complete Sherlock Holmes stories again, partially because of how many people have told me that my Quinn narrator sounds like Watson, and partially because--well, Holmes and Watson are my favorite superheroes! ^_^ I'm trying to read them all in order from cover to cover, something I haven't done in a while, and am currently still finishing up A Study in Scarlet. Yes, I told you I am mostly busy with my writing! Even my reading is suffering, horror of horrors! 

On a sidenote, I found Watson's list of 'Sherlock Holmes--his limits' even funnier on this umpteenth reading. If I were to make a similar list for myself, I suppose it would go something like:

1. Knowledge of Literature.--Extensive, but limited mostly to pre-1950's English Language and Classical, with some Russian. Well-versed in Celtic, Germanic, and Classical mythologies.
2. Knowledge of Philosophy.--Limited to Greek and Chinese, and supplemented by some poor independent musings.
3. Knowledge of Astronomy.--Feeble.
4. Knowledge of Politics.--Variable. Reasonably understanding of political theory, but treats the political reality with something bordering on disdain.
5. Knowledge of Botany.--Nil. 
6. Knowledge of Geology.--Poor.
7. Knowledge of Chemistry.--Very poor. Does know a little about medieval-era poisons.
8. Knowledge of Anatomy.--Limited. Disturbingly seems to focus mostly upon anatomy as relevant to injuries, illness, and other such trauma.
9. Knowledge of Sensational Literature.--Next to nothing.
10. Plays the piano, guitar, recorder, and tin whistle, all poorly.
11. Is an avid dancer, cook, artist, seamstress, and photographer. Takes with her everywhere a green notebook, which she scribbles in almost incessantly. 
12. Talks to herself.

Hm, I wonder if Watson could have guessed that all of this adds up to 'author' any better than he guessed that all of Holmes' attributes added up to 'detective'? Looking at it, it certainly seems a bit batty, heh. I guess we are all of us somewhat peculiar when our personalities are dissected and listed like that. It's somewhat fun, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?