Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Day In My Life (Finally!), Nov. 17

(It's about time I finally got started, no?)

Okay, so I'm going to say that my day on Nov. 17 started at midnight, since I was awake for midnight, and so the day started with me frantically working on a memorial I had to finish writing for my Honors class. We're currently doing a China game, Ming dynasty, and I was one of the first people who had to present a memorial to the Wanli Emperor. Confusing, I know, but anyway. I was probably finishing off my black peach tea about this time too, which had gone cold a while ago. And perhaps listening to music. I had been listening to my Playlist earlier, but I think I might have switched it off around midnight, for fear that it'd lull me to sleep.

Thanks in part to the tea, I managed to stay up long enough to type out and print a respectable essay, but I only finished at four-thirty in the morning. I then snatched two hours of sleep before I had to get up and get to campus for my first class of the morning, Hawaiian Studies at 7:30. I got to the classroom early, but since I was feeling rather ill due to not getting enough sleep, I fell asleep at my desk and napped until class started about a half-hour later.

During Hawaiian class we watched a film about the Bayonet Constitution, and it was very interesting and rather sad, even though I knew the story already. I worked while I watched the film, editing the printed-out version of my speech for Honors, so by the time Hawaiian class finished, the speech was a lot better and quite scribbly and untidy looking.

Then a quick dash across campus--a fifteen-minute speed-walk--to get to Honors class. It was the first day of our China game, so we were still getting used to the new format of things, such as everyone bowing when the 'Emperor' enters the room, and such. I was second to give my speech, in which I had to criticize the Emperor for corruption, and it went pretty well, though my professor told me later that she thought I should have been more aggressive in my condemnation. And there I was thinking I was being too aggressive! I guess I'm just too nice, haha.

After Honors class I went to the Honors Lounge at the library, where I polished up the copy of my memorial that I had on my laptop, Gareth, before emailing it to my professor by the noon deadline. Then I was free for the rest of the day, huzzah, and after grabbing a quick lunch (a turkey wrap, in case you were wondering. Which you probably weren't.) I stood at the bus stop for a broiling fifteen minutes or so before the bus finally showed up.

On the bus, I fell asleep. Told you I was tired. When the bus had reached downtown I woke up a little to discover that there was this guy sitting next to me who hadn't been there when I fell asleep, but I didn't care enough to stay awake, so I napped again. I was awake to get off at my stop, however, and so got back to the apartment at about twelve-thirty.

Once there, things got a little boring, because I just slept for another four hours. Oh, no, wait, I listened to the first few chapters of 'The Lost World' on Librivox first, which was enjoyable. I love that book, and the guy reading did a decent job, even though he didn't have a British accent, heh. I tried to find that 1950's film adaptation online, but failed. Then I fell asleep.

When I woke up it was already dark, which was disorienting because at first I thought I had to get up and go to school and that it was next morning. Ugh.

Spaghetti for dinner, Video-Skyped my family who are on their way to Colorado right now for the Oireachtas, and did Russian homework. Then I hammered out a couple-hundred more words of 'Quinn', which means I'm in double-digit territory at last, but still am miserably far behind from where I need to be. Was a bit too tired for any serious creative work, though, which is why I only got a couple hundred words written. So I finally switched off the brain cells, spent a happy forty-five minutes or so watching 'Midnight' (I had forgotten how good that episode actually was, creeepy and clever), wrote in my journal, and then went back to sleep at about eleven at night.

All in all, it wasn't a bad day, although I always hate staying up all night. My only real regret is that due to my being exhausted I didn't go down to the shopping center to pick up 'Star Trek' on dvd! And after anxiously counting down the days all this time, too! Still, I'll get it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?