Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Song of Shadows

And thus the poet captures what I feel to be the very essence of good storytelling. A good fantasy book or good myth or good poem always conjures up this image in my mind, sometimes fully realized, sometimes only as a ghost or a whisper. Trust the magnificent de la Mare to capture the image in poetry, however!

The Song of Shadows
by Sir Walter de la Mare

"Sweep thy faint strings, Musician,
With thy long lean hand;
Downward the starry tapers burn,
Sinks soft the waning sand;
The old hound whimpers couched in sleep,
The embers smoulder low;
Across the walls the shadows
Come, and go.

Sweep softly thy strings, Musician,
The minutes mount to hours;
Frost on the windless casement weaves
A labyrinth of flowers;
Ghosts linger in the darkening air,
Hearken at the open door;
Music hath called them, dreaming,
Home once more."

5 comments:

  1. Seriously, where do you find these. I am sleepy, anxious and bored all at the same time so I got a lot on my mind, yet this poem still makes sense to me. It is really nice.

    Have a happy spring break!

    P.S. t\The song of shadows is a song from the legend of zelda, or at least I think it is. . . :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walter de la Mare is one of my favorite poets, chiefly due to his 'The Listeners', which is one of my favorite poems of all time.

    But I just found this one by accident, and was delighted with it.

    You have a happy spring break too, don't work too hard, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this... de la Mare is amazing anyways.
    I love the line about the labyrinth of flowers. :D
    ~Linden

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot recall ever reading this chap (shame on me), so thanks, you. Lovely, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very welcome, SarahA; I love sharing writings with other people ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?