Monday, March 9, 2009

Ah, the Subtleties of Modern Art

So I was climbing up to the third floor of one of my school's libraries, to retrieve the "Pan's Labyrinth" DVD that I put on hold this morning (yes, I do actually have it in my possession now), and I was going casually because I enjoy walking up and down stairs without my ginormous backpack dragging me down.

I noticed that there are pieces of art set at intervals along the way: paintings on walls, and statues on the landings. Even a replica of the Rosetta Stone is set in the wall at one point (and  speaking as one who has seen the real thing I have to say it is nowhere near as beautiful as the original). You know what I mean: the sort of modernist sculptures of metal and stone twisted into weird shapes that make one long for the marbles of Ancient Greece; the fuzzy, colorful paintings that can be made out when squinting and standing on one's head. They give a general air of grandeur and 'class', but on scrutiny I generally find them to be lacking any feel of what I deem as art.

Anyway, I was scrutinizing them anyway, because it was pleasant to be climbing stairs without needing to go to class, and I hoped to find at least one piece of art to really enjoy, and upon the second floor landing there was a sculpture which really caught my attention. It was, to all appearances, a vaguely rounded lump of stone, perhaps knee-high and between one and two feet in width, set upon a pedestal, and colored a greyish, reddish-brown.

What is this? I wondered. And so, since I had time to spare, I walked over and stooped to read the plaque set at the pedestal's foot. And there I read the sculpture's name:

The Rock. 

. . . It is comforting, is it not, to know that the modernist art movement is coming full circle? They now use enormous lumps of stone to make models of rocks. And then display them as wonders.

Speaking as one who has seen the real thing, I have to say that this sculpture is nowhere near as beautiful as the original.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how I loved this post! I have gone through much the same and dispaired at modern art. This, however, is one of the best examples that I have ever heard of before. Although, I must admit "Artist admiring muffin" was pretty good. (Petrified muffin with a paint-brush stuck through it.)
    Have fun with Pan's Labyrinth!

    ~Linden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    Infidel is the sequel to Dekker's book Chosen. Have you read his Circle Trilogy? This series is connected to that. Infidel is about the characters from Chosen, and what happens to them next....it's called Infidel because of the Horde, which are the primary antagonists in the story. In Dekker's world, the Horde are the unbelievers. I asked the library for three different books, and I didn't really expect to get all of them, but I least expected to get King's Dragon! And that's the only one I was able to get....I haven't gotten very far, but it looks promising. :D

    Happy March Reading (and writing) to you too! I enjoyed you story, in case you haven't seen my comment yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wince for you for all the work you have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still look at that "rock" whenever I am in that library and I still, have no idea why they call it a rock. To me it appears to be more like an odd seed of sorts. Oh well, it is modern art and it is whatever you think it is.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?