Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Weather. And More Books.

So I've been spending today by:

A) Skype-chatting
B) Doing homework
C) Listening to Les Miserables
D) Reading Emma
E) Going to classes

. . . Which is pretty much how my life's been going the past few days. Which doesn't leave me with anything significant to blog about, I guess!

I think I'm reduced to talking about the weather.

Well, the weather has been rather interesting recently. The mornings are glorious, bright and clear, with blue-blue sky and the grass lemony-green because it's so bright, and the flowers glowing so brightly they look molten and you expect them to drip their excess color onto the soil.

Around noontime, however, vast clouds colored so dark they are almost blue come rolling over the mountains. It's rather spectacular looking, and rather thrilling too because they're a little scary: so thick and low, and appearing from behind the mountains (which are so close here) like an army or something. It makes me think what it would have been like to live here before Cook came, or even be one of the earlier explorers. What would it have been like to be here, in the jungle-surrounded valley, and seeing those clouds swallowing up the sky so suddenly?

Anyways, and then the sky is silver-dark for a couple hours. And then comes the wind, which is immensely strong for about five minutes, and then--a storm of rain, so that not only the sky, but everything around you is silver-grey, and if you're outside you are running with water and absolutely soaked within seconds, and can't see your hand in front of your face.

This lasts for about 5-10 minutes. And then comes the sunlight again, and the rest of the day is an even mix of cloud and blue, but no rain.

And that's the weather report. Thrilling, isn't it? Oi, I need a more exciting life, I guess!

Oh, wait, I have been reading books. The Charwoman's Shadow, Master and Commander, and Emma are my latest reads, and they were all very good. I actually prefer Charwoman to Elfking's Daughter, which I didn't think would happen when the main character was introduced as Ramon Alonzo Matthew-Mark-Luke-John, but ultimately did. I really, really love that book. And M & C was rather good too, good enough that I am determined to pick up the next one next time I am at the library. Post Captain, I think? It's a very different style to what I'm used to, so I had to be careful reading it because otherwise I missed important events. I laughed aloud at certain parts though . . . most notably the remora incident and where Aubrey smacks his head on the lintel. Yeah, I also still laugh when Gandalf smacks his head in Bag End in the Fellowship film. I don't know why, usually I'm not a slapsticky person.

Okay, and that is about all I have to say right now. Except I have decided: I will buy the Complete Symphonic Recording of Les Miserables. I must. That my favorite Javert sings in it sorta tipped the scales. And I do love Michael Ball's voice, just don't want to see him while he's singing, ha ha. Too bad Lea Salonga isn't singing Eponine, but . . . it's good enough for me. I love all things Les Mis. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. I love your sense of humour. I think I ought to spend more time reading this weekend. :D
    And I officially hate you now for stealing the banner I was thinking of using.
    But I love you for everything else. <3
    In other words. I don't actually hate you. :)

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't hate me for the banner: You got first pick! :D
    Glad you liked the humor, because I was about half-awake when I wrote this, so I was afraid when I went to check on it later that it wouldn't make sense . . .

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?