Monday, August 16, 2010

Sun In My Eyes

My littlest sister--she's two--just came over to me where I'm sitting on the floor of my bedroom working on a story. She took my face in her hands and very gently and solemnly turned me to face her. Then, with a very sweet look of concentration on her face, she told me "Here, take the sun--" and very carefully mimed putting something into both of my eyes. And with a satisfied smile, she walked away.

This is part of the reason why I love spending time with my littlest siblings--their imaginations are so strong and boundless and joyous, they can come up with a beautiful idea like placing pieces of the sun into people's eyes. What a powerful notion, and one I know I could never have thought of on my own. Just like the time my four-year-old brother wished me goodnight and then added 'I will go find sweet dreams for you!" I have a little sister who puts the sun into my eyes, and a little brother who spends his dreamtime collecting sweet child-dreams to give to me, since I am now too old, alas, to find any of my own. I am so very fortunate to be their older sister.

1 comment:

Penny for your thoughts?