Saturday, June 12, 2010

Rory!


So, I'm gonna start posting my art more frequently (hopefully!), especially since I'm trying to focus my energies on artwork a bit more now that I am taking a year off school (this goes hand in hand with the focusing more on writing thing).

Ta-da! It's Rory! I sketched him last night while watching "King Kong". It's my first time attempting to draw him, so I think it turned out pretty well all things considered. Also, I'm more a charcoal person than a graphite person, so this is my best pencil drawing in a, uh, looooong time :)

I'm starting a series of Doctor Who paper dolls, just for fun. It's entertaining so far. I'll post pics when I'm done with the first one; I'm experimenting with Photoshop for the first time to fix the coloring errors I made when I was just coloring with pencil.

5 comments:

  1. I love it. This is brilliant. You made Rory that much better! I can tell, next week'll be a good episode for him. (I watched The Hungry Earth last night. Still watching as they air on BBCA)

    And I would love to see more of your artwork! Your style is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you very much! I love drawing, but never really devoted much serious time to it until I took my first art class last semester, so encouragement is really appreciated. Balancing visual arts with literary arts is something that I'd like to be able to teach myself to do :D

    I'll try to post more stuff soon. And I /really/ need to go buy more charcoal and white chalk and good drawing paper--I used cardstock for this picture, because I had no good drawing paper!

    PS-Cold Blood was a great episode. I won't spoiler. Really, after the somewhat shaky episodes 2 and 3, this series has really been fantastic! I think "Vincent and the Doctor" might be my favorite, but it's hard to say. I just finished watching "The Lodger", so the finale starts this weekend for me--eek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After tonight, I think I may have a go at looking for the links on Combom. I looked once, but I guess they're in the blogposts, not the links on the sides, because I don't think I want to wait any longer for what happens....I'm especially excited about Vincent and the Doctor. I've been attempting Doctor Who art (finally) and have turned a nice one of Eleven, and an embarrassing one of Ten. When Eleven is colored and finished, I'll post a pic of him on my blog. Ten looks a bit horrendous because the drawing itself wasn't very good, but I used him to experiment with new art markers. Poor Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh huzzah! I haven't actually tried Eleven yet--I think he's adorable, ha, but very difficult to capture on paper. He's got a strange face. I look forward to seeing your rendition :)

    And I'm sure your Ten is much better than you give it credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, thank you! Eleven was easier than Ten, for me. I'm thrilled that there's an actual resemblance - I love Eleven! But my Ten really is awful. He does look a bit like Ten, but...the markers have ruined him. I may try him again though. As soon as I can figure out art markers, I'll post Eleven. I'm being careful with him. I don't want to ruin him, cause I think I could do him again....

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?