Thursday, December 31, 2009

Farewell to 2009

It's even harder, in a way, to farewell 2009 than it was to farewell 2008 a year ago. Perhaps this is because 2009 ends in a 9, (which has always been one of my favorite numbers) and therefore is an odd number. I have always liked odd numbers better than even numbers. My mother says that's because I'm odd myself, which might very well be true, but whatever.

It might also be, however, because 2009 was such a very full, very exciting year. It's strange that although things happen and change, I never really feel like so very much is going on in my life, until I stop and reflect a moment like I do at the end of each year and realize, wow, I have had a full year! In January I watched "Inkheart" after a wait of many years and finished my first knitting project; in February I discovered the beauties of William Morris's writing; I turned eighteen in March; April was the Spam Jam at Waikiki, a rather unique experience; May marked my excruciating staph infection; in June I discovered the wonderful world of Bollywood; in July I managed to overcome adversity and actually compete at the Irish Dance National Championships despite my earlier illness, as well as explore beautiful Nashville; August meant the start of my sophomore year of college; in September I went museum-hopping, visiting such places as Queen Emma's Palace and the first Mission in Hawaii; October saw Father Damien be canonized, which was an amazing thing to experience in Hawaii, at the cathedral where he had been ordained; in November I participated in my first ever (but certainly not last!) NaNoWriMo and managed to pound out over 30,000 words, as well as had the opportunity to chop down a section of bamboo forest with a machete; and this December, of course, has been all family, fun, and Christmas cheer.

There's definitely been a mix of both good and bad this year, but that's how it is with all years, isn't it? What's most important is that I feel I got a lot out of it, and have grown as a student, a dancer, an author, and just a person. So yes, I will raise my glass to toast 2009, and although I feel a tinge of sadness as I always do with the ending of anything, I also welcome 2010 and all the adventures it still has in store--both for me, and for you. Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?