Saturday, September 3, 2011

Book Reviews for July

August will be a separate post :)

King Kong (film novelization)
Ugh, this was such a disappointment. I mean, I don't really expect much from the novelization of a film really, but even so this book was incredibly dry and blah, the writing merely connecting the dots of the plot without any real flair or interest. If anything a novelization is a chance to flesh out characters, give greater insight into their minds, etc. The characters here were like cardboard, and I actually love the characters in the movie (I'm talking 2005 PJ version, by the way). The best part of this book was a typo ('whore durves')! Watch the film, it's great. Don't read the novelization.

The Sherlockian, by Graham Moore
Well, the two mysteries that make up the plot were told well and the characters were entertaining, but once the book was closed and the story was over neither really stuck with me. The best thing about this novel was the interactions between Conan Doyle and Bram Stoker, and the chapter where they discuss Oscar Wilde's recent death was utterly fantastic. There are plenty of quality lines scattered throughout as well, so overall I'd say it's not literature, but it is quality fiction with more thought behind it and things to say than most. Warnings for some 1800's crude and profane language.

A Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs
As someone who to her own surprise prefers the Disney "Tarzan" to Burroughs' actual novel, I have to say that this book is much much better than "Tarzan of the Apes". Its sheer inventiveness is extremely refreshing, and while it's not really that complex a tale it is very entertaining. Seeing all the aspects of the story that later influenced the entire sci-fi genre as a whole was also really interesting ('padwan's, telepathic Martians, etc.). Also, the opening chapter is probably one of the best openings to any book I have ever read; it literally gave me chills. As far as early fantastic literature goes I still definitely prefer "The Worm Ouroboros", but this book is worth a read.

Moon Over Manifest, by Clare Vanderpool
A very worthy Newbery medalist, thank goodness! I loved the way Vanderpool wrote; the voices of the characters, the simple and truthful style, the interplay between first-person narrative, newsclippings from the past, and the letters of a WWI soldier are all great. I am personally very interested in reading about WWI, it's such a tragic and powerful moment in history and impacted a lot of my favorite authors too (JRR Tolkien, for one), so to have an entire narrative thread set during that time was fantastic. The other half of the story is set during the Great Depression, another period of American history that I love learning about, so double-yay! The interlocking mysteries in the story could have been balanced a bit better, as I cared about some and others seemed very superfluous, but this is a very minor issue compared to how excellently it all comes together in the end (and powerfully; I actually got a bit misty-eyed). I'd really like to see this made into an old-style film. This is, in my opinion, one of those rare worthy Newbery Medalists that both kids and adults can enjoy. (Also, if you're interested in WWI like I am, check out the film "Wooden Crosses". It's a black-and-white French film from 1932, and many of the actors are actually veterans of the war. Its one of the most powerful, frightening, and emotionally draining films I've ever watched. Absolutely stunning. It really makes the war real to the viewer.)

Shane, by Jack Schaefer
At last, my book of the month! I don't usually read Westerns, but I'd heard good things about this book and so picked it up at the library. And then promptly read it cover-to-cover four times. It's a beautifully told story by a writer who knows perfectly how to use simplicity of language and understatement to his advantage. Shane is a fascinating and utterly compelling character, and the tragic ambiguity of the ending was of course exactly the kind of thing I love. I think the book could have done without the epilogue, but other than that I have no complaints. If you have not yet checked out this slim little book, do so! And then you can watch the film, which is also very good thanks mainly to Alan Ladd's performance and the cinematography. The book's better, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?