Thursday, June 4, 2009

Writing Woes

I attended a two hour long dance practice and ran for twenty minutes today. I'm a little achy. But thank goodness that when I rolled my ankle towards the end of class it wasn't serious, and I'm okay. That could easily have been disastrous--I sort of have this jinx where I usually injure an ankle right before a big competition, so I'm hoping that was it, so now it'll just be smooth sailing.

My sleep schedule has been really messed up, and not helping is the still lingering effects of the infection. I went to sleep at three in the morning last night, woke up at noon, and now it's one in the morning and I'm still awake. Argh. Worst of all, is even when I'm awake, I feel like going back to sleep, and I hate that, because there's so many other things I'd like to be doing but don't feel like I have the energy for.

Like writing! I was desperate all semester to get time to write, and now that I have all the time in the world, I am having the most terrifically bad time getting words on paper . . . or, er, word processing document. I just sit here staring at the screen, tap out a few words, and can't figure out what I want to say, or, rather, how I want to say it. Writer's block is maddening in all its forms, but especially now. And especially because my father is constantly hinting and asking about how my writing is coming along; he wants me to finish up and start getting published already. It is nice to have someone who believes in you, but it's also stressful. Particularly when the words for the stories just aren't coming.

Oh well, I will keep slogging away and perhaps my muse will return. I have written a lot more in Linden's birthday story, yes I have, but there's a key scene that I need to write to connect the written parts with the current published parts, and that scene is giving me a lot of trouble. Until it is written, I can't post all the other pages I've written, which is just adding to the pressure. But I am not slacking and have not forgotten the story! I am just working hard on one scene it needs before it is posted. And I think I need to (alas!) trim dialogue.

So, back to work! Or, to bed. I have not yet decided which course to take.

1 comment:

  1. You are still up at one on the morning!?? Jeez choose sleep. I mean sure I can't say I have had the misfortune of a crippling infection that messed up my sleep schedule but staying up that late is crazy! It's no wonder you get writers block. You know, sometimes dreams can help a bit.

    Lol this is completely irrelevant but I almost cracked my face open jumping from the balcony of my house although all I got to show for it now is a nasty grass stain. I would say I jumped from 15 feet or so. Haha I guess we are both kind of lucky to be in an uninjured state. I am hoping it stays that way.

    P.S. Your playlist is like an emotional rollercoaster! One moment I am frenzied into a false sense of bravery then all of a sudden the next song breaks me down to the verge of depression. Then out of nowhere a happy song jumps out and makes my day. I don’t know what to feel anymore!

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?